Thursday, December 20, 2012

*** Something A Little Different ***

 
No, I haven't quit blogging it's just been sooooo busy at work and home that I haven't had time! I am sure most of you are in the same boat. Work, for me,  is finished for a week after tomorrow night,  so I'm hoping to have a bit of time to catch up with my card making.
Today I have a little project to share with you that I have been working on this week.
Ever since I took a Mixed Media class, with my daughter, Jasmine, last spring I've been itching to do another piece - so here it is. I'm calling it "Time Began In A Garden"...I'm not sure how well that message comes across with the images, but the verse from scripture helps.  I used a canvas for my base. The paper pieces ( leaves, flowers, fence & flourishes) were cut using the Grand Calibur and a host of Spellbinder and other dies. The clock face was cut from a free digital image. I attached real watch hands using a brad to the center. The real gears around the watch are an assortment from a wonderful find  that my daughter shared with me. I inked the edges of pretty much everything. For the scripture verse I simply typed it out in Word Perfect, printed it  & then tore the edges. The background was done using alcohol inks, gesso, molding compound and an assortment of stencils. I free hand drew the Garden Girl and then cut her out and used the pieces as templates to cut the patterned paper (MME) for her dress. I coloured her face with Copic Markers. I added some green flock near the fence and gave it some depth by shading with my Copics. The bird house & heart (on her dress) are made of wood which I painted with acryllic paints. I also used some folder & heat embossing in different areas. The dragonflies are brads, the ladybugs & some flower centers are buttons, the shovel is a craft item, her hair is embroidery floss, apron band is ribbon & her hands are charms. I think that covers everything! The finished project is 9"x12.
This was so much fun to do and a great creative break from card making for me. It was an excellent project for using up "bits & pieces" and "odds & ends". I know a lot of people are intimidated by the look of Mix Media, but in all honesty you can't make a mistake...no 2 pieces ever turn out the same.
I hope this is an encouragment for you to give it a go!
Here are a couple of close up shots:
Bottom Right Corner

 
 

Clock, Girl & Scripture Verse

 




To give an idea of the depth

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a wnderful day.
hugs,
Nancy

Challenges:
Sugar Creek Hollow http://sugarcreekhollow.blogspot.ca/ - For A Gift
Craft Your Passion http://www.craftyourpassionchallenges.blogspot.ca/ - Recipe Time (3 DP's;Ribbon; Circle Shape)
*Try It On Tuesday http://tuesdaytaggers.blogspot.ca/ -Lucky Dip (die cuts; ribbon; distressing & stamped image)
Divas By Design http://divasbydesignchallenge.blogspot.ca/ - Anything Goes
Delightful Challenges http://delightfulsketches.blogspot.ca/ - Anything Goes
 

12 comments:

Mynn xx

This truly is a masterpiece! LOVE all the different elements you used! Such a bright and happy piece of artwork! I hope you'll join us this month at Technique Tuesday for our Faux Tile challenge! Happy holidays!!! :)

Heather

Love all the elements of your Altered canvas! It sure looks like it was fun to make! Thank you for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow this week!
Hugs
Heather

SandeeNC

oh I just love your mixed media canvas, with all those yummy layers!You did a fabulous job! Thanks so much for playing along with us at TIOT Lucky Dip Challenge, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Cec

Wow, what a fabulous project with so many wonderful elements. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
Hugs!
Cec

Michelle

This project is great. It is so colorfull.
Thanks for joining us at CYP.
xxx Michelle

Sharon

A gorgeous card. Love all the colours and such dimension. Thank you for sharing this with us at Diva's by Design.
Hugs Sharon. x

Evil Edna

Seasonal Greetings, this is a delicate and fun piece, thank you for sharing it with us at TIOT.EE

scrap joanny

very interesting project wow - thanks so much for playing with craftyourpassionchallenges- merry christmas and hugs Joanna

Margreet

A true masterpiece and treat for the eyes....thanks for sharing it with Divas by Design!
xxx Margreet

Angela Weimer

What a beautiful project so Whimsical and fun. Thanks for joining us at TIOT and have a lovely holiday season. Angela

Jasmine

Great work, Mom - love it..
Jazz x

Von

Just seen this on Try it on Tuesday and it is just beautiful :)
Von ☺

Post a Comment